Buy Mate Cup at our store
Mate, known in Argentina, refers to a traditional cup used for drinking yerba mate. The premier yerba mate gourds are crafted from dried calabash (calabaza), hand-fashioned by skilled artisans. These are selected for their ability to enhance the longevity and intensity of the mate’s flavor. Alternatively, you can opt for a yerba mate cup made of steel, which is perfect for beginners because of its ease of maintenance and contemporary design. Shop online for all varieties of mate cups in this category.
Showing all 19 results
Why buy a Mate tea cup by Un Mate?
Un Acero and Un Re Mate are our top recommendations for those seeking an easy-to-use mate cup. Constructed with a double steel wall that serves as a thermal insulator, these mate tea cups are not only comfortable to hold without heating your hand but also eco-friendly, promising many years of use.
Un Mate's yerba mate cups are designed with care to enhance your drinking experience. You can opt for the Un Mate Gourd, crafted from select calabash gourds and encased in genuine leather, all handcrafted by local artisans in Argentina. This cup is not just aesthetically pleasing but also enriches the flavors of your mate.
Choose any of these mate cups to begin your authentic mate experience.
Types of yerba mate cups
There's a wide array of mate cups available for purchase. Here are some of the most popular types:
- Mate Gourd or mate de calabaza: Made from dried and hollowed calabash fruit, these cups are famed for intensifying the flavor of your mate.
- Inox Steel mate cup: Excellent for maintaining the temperature of your drink, hot or cold, and they are very practical for travel due to their ease of cleaning.
- Glass: Glass yerba mate tea cups are friendly for beginners.
- Wood mate gourd: Can be made from algarrobo (carob tree) or palo santo wood.
- Ceramic: A budget-friendly option for your first yerba mate cup.
Sizes of mate cups: Which one should you choose?
Mate cups vary not only in shape but also in size and capacity. In Argentina, where sharing the mate gourd is a tradition, smaller sizes are popular for quicker passing around of the yerba mate cup.
The size you should choose depends on your usage and preference. Generally, a larger mate tea cup (200-300 ml) holds more yerba mate, allowing for longer drinking sessions.
A medium-sized mate cup, around 130-180 ml, will use up the yerba mate more quickly but requires less quantity, making it more suitable for quick drinks or when you only wish for a few sips.